The Yarraman Heritage Centre.
"The Yarraman Historical Society was commenced
in 1997 in what used to be Sacred Heart Boarding Convent for boys, and
is now known as The Yarraman Heritage Centre . The convent was in use
as such from 1946 until 1966 when it was vacated by the 36 boys and up
to 8 nuns who cared for them.
The convent was originally given to a catholic sub-committee
of the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders Commission (ATSIC) in 1988
but they found they could not get financial backing to run the complex
and in 1997 were considering an offer of $10,000 to demolish the convent.
With an interest free loan from the council, the Yarraman and District
Historical Society took posession of the building and grounds on 15th
October 1997. The Yarraman Heritage Centre was commenced.
The society has set up a museum on the bottom floor
of the building housing displays of the local history of the area, as
well as leaving some of the rooms intact as they were used during the
time of the convent. There are also many items and photographs from yesteryear
that have been donated and give an idea what life was like in decades
past. As well a display on the history of the timber industry in the area
was set up by Queensland Museums. Also on show are local crafts, most
of which are for sale, as well as a collection of paintings and tapestries
in the art gallery.
Within the grounds can be found Arthur Browns Butcher
Shop, which has been restored to house memorabilia of the cattle and grain
industries of the area. The building was originally built about 1912 and
was situated on the corner of Cheadle and Watson Streets.
The Yarraman railway station is also on site and displays
old locomotive information books and other items as well as displays of
war memorabilia and a tribute to the Light Horse Brigade is on display."
extracted from the web site of The
Yarraman Heritage Centre